EXCAVATION/TRENCHING SAFETY AND QUALIFIED COMPETENT PERSON TRAINING
February 14, 2019
City of Gibraltar City Hall
29450 Munro Street
Gibraltar MI 48173
0.5 CECs, Water and Wastewater, Other
Instructor: Mike Ross
Certified Competent Person Trainer by the National Utility Contractors Association
The content of the program includes the scope and application of OSHA’s Subpart P – Excavation Standard, definitions, general requirements, and requirements for protective systems, soil classification, and handling of OSHA inspections.
Participants receive a student manual and are expected to pass an open book test with a grade of 80%. Those who successfully complete the program with a passing grade receive a wallet size “Certificate of Completion” card, and a hardhat decal.
The “Certificate of Completion” card may then be used by the student’s supervisor to authorize the student to conduct the duties of a Competent Person on job sites.
At the conclusion of this seminar, participants should be able to:
• Display a knowledge of the Excavation Standard
• Identify hazards associated with trenches and excavations
• Demonstrate correct soil testing procedures
• Understand the different types of protective systems
8:00am – 3:00pm Class
Noon to 1 p.m. Lunch (provided)
2. Competent person definition and responsibilities
3. Overview of general requirements
4. Overview of soil classification and protective systems
5. Highlight of the four most frequently cited violations.
6. Overview of daily inspection checklist
7. Overview of confined-space entry procedures and training requirements
8. Overview of permit-required confined-spaces decision flow chart
9. OSHA interpretations
10. Work group problems
About Your Instructor: Mike Ross, is a certified “Competent Person Training” Trainer by the National Utility Contractors Association. He conducts CPT training throughout Michigan and has an excellent “successful completion” rate.
Member: $200 per attendee
Non-Member: $275 per attendee
Payment/Cancellation Policy: Payment is expected prior to class. Cancellations must be requested at least 3 business days prior to the start of the class or your registration fee will be forfeited. If you cancel least 3 business days prior to the start of class, the full amount may be used as credit toward a future class. You may send a substitute attendee.